Pages

Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Work Situation

It's still not ok to comment publicly about the company I work for and I wouldn't dream of discussing anything remotely confidential. However, there has been a lot of articles in the press lately that I would characterize as very similar to the information provided to the folks on staff at former MegaBank.

When a bigger company gobbles you up, under any circumstances there is an evaluation of the staff on both sides of the acquisition that are evaluated to determine who is redundant. The evaluation of the staff on the acquirer side is usually a convenient opportunity to rid the payroll of problem people - most of the staff on the acquirer side are considered to be "safe." Those of us on the acquired side do not have the same safety net.

I'm extremely confident that in spite of my excellent skills, good attitude, and moderate salary that there's likely no need for TPgal at the new company. I'm ok with this reality. I'm financially better off than I was when eCharge closed its doors without notice, and my support system is stronger.

They're telling us we will know our disposition (aka fate of employment) by December 1st. There are a couple of options within that scenario that are attractive, but I don't be waiting until then to start looking. I would rather walk away from a severance package and into a stable job than pass up an opportunity to advance my career, or even take myself in a new direction.

For folks who don't feel like they have options, the December timeline is terrible. Two months (well... 6 weeks at this point) is a long time to twist in the wind. I personally don't feel like I'm twisting, I still feel in control of my own reality.

It would be a bummer to walk away from a year end bonus (I KNOW, HOW ON EARTH CAN A COMPANY THAT WAS TAKEN OVER STILL HAVE BONUSES?) that I had hoped to use for an event later in 2009. But...if the right job comes along, I will gladly take it. I understand that there is a cost to sticking it out to the bitter end in a situation like this, morale tends to drop to negative numbers.

As much as I'm motivated by money, I need to be happy. I've spend enough time being cranky.

So, more news as it comes out. When I know what's going on with me I'll share. In the meantime, I'm being super conservative with my money and not regretting the cancellation of the Greece trip for one moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things work out in the end... This is all just part of a cycle... I'm glad you're taking control though; I know some "people" at MegaBank who are in a "wait and see" mode... I keep telling them not to wait... But to each their own... Everyone has their own way of dealing with things, I guess.

Peepers said...

Glad you have such a positive outlook on things. I bet a lot of people won't be taking it so well and will feel like "victims". But we are all responsible for our lives, so good on you for doing the smart thing and exploring your options. Glad you are seemingly at peace. You are very blessed. :)