Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pay attention

At the risk of sounding like a suck up I must confess that I'm falling in love with my future in-laws. They are genuine people who are rightly adored by their friends. (Although, if one more person tells me how lucky I am to marry into this family I may scream. I KNOW!!!)

This weekend was tough. Their neighbor and friend Mr. B was celebrated at a touching funeral.

People were invited to stand up and talk about Mr. B. This can be awkward if no one is moved to speak or the departed was a jerk, but that was not the case here. People told funny stories, tales of father son camping trips, and a fierce devotion to family. A dedication to others through years of service with the Salvation Army and the Special Olympics. The one thing that really stood out was the 40 plus year love affair Mr. B had with Mrs. B. Even at 78 and 82 they wouldn't consider taking a cruise where they would be in a cabin with twin beds. (awwweee)

It was a second marriage for both of them and with two sets of teenagers to blend together they had their fair share of challenges but didn't let it shake their union. I think I was most moved by Mrs. B's daughter who spoke about what Mr. B meant to her over her life. I wish everyone could see that family is who you love.

After the service and a brief graveside internment ceremony for the urn we went to the house which was blissfully close to our luggage. Jason, his Dad and I had a wardrobe change after a brief appearance. My suit was not holding up well in the 90 degree heat and I was melting like the Wicked Witch.

The gathering at the house was nice and not too much about Jason and I. (There was a LOT of wedding talk with the neighbors, but I guess it is to be expected because they are ALL coming). Any way, Mrs. B cried when she saw Jason and it completely validated our decision to come.

She said to me the next day that she was sorry we had to come, but was thankful we did. She also looked me in the eye and told me to pay attention to every day and never ever miss an opportunity to tell Jason that I love him.

I won't. I promise!

The rest of the weekend was equally busy with a dinner party that included one of the groomsmen. It was nice to spend time with him and get to know him better. Today there was a brunch that involved the entire morning of setting up a tent, tables, chairs, cooking and
sangria prep. It hit about 88 degrees while we were working in the yard but cooled as the guests arrived. We ate under a blissful breeze and were thankful for some cloud cover. However as the last piece of cake was consumed a crack of thunder shook the sky and a 'hold on to the furniture Dorothy the house is flying' wind kicked up. We scrambled and had the entire party disassembled in 10 minutes including taking down the tent.

It was a frenzy of activity and kind of funny except Jason and I had to leave for the airport. We put everything away, loaded the car and then waved a quick goodbye as we zipped away.

I'm happy we went and had a good time in spite of the purpose of the trip. Each visit with Jason's family makes them just that much more mine. (he feels the same way about my people...)

So, if you take anything from this rambling post take this:

Never miss an opportunity to tell your family you love them!!

(I love you Mom & Dad and you too Boo)

No comments: