Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Friends!



I do miss the traditional work environment. I miss having people to go to lunch with, a reason to put on nice clothes (not that Jason doesn't love that I'm a member of the FaceBook group "Jammies 24/7") and the gossip and drama that occurs when people who are only matched in skills are thrown together.

This week in San Jose I've had two other former MegaBank people around to entertain me. There are others here, but these two were here on business. The ones who live here are nice to have around, but they don't want to go out to dinner. They (understandably) want to go home to their own families at the end of the day.

Last night consultant 1 and consultant 2 and I went downtown for a yummy dinner. With three of us we ate like kings, mostly because it was a family style place so we were able to sample quite a number of things rather than my stupid appetizer and consultant 1's steak that he seldom wants to share.

Tonight, we lost consultant 2 to a dinner with a former boss of hers. I'm sure our dinner will be better and WAY more fun, but I guess you need to keep those relationships alive when you can.

So, we will miss her tonight I'm happy I won't be drinking a shitty glass of wine by myself at the pizza place across the street.

Speaking of work, I think I'm going to be happier in my new role, but it comes at a strange trade off. I'm trading a boss I dig for work I like. I can deal with challenges of a supervisor that wants very specific perfection that they can't exactly describe. (for now) I'm thankful for the opportunity and am super grateful that it doesn't mean I have to move.

It should come as no shock that I am looking forward to heading home tomorrow. I hear that my fella has "date night" worked out. That's a fun thing. It might be as simple as him cooking and a good bottle of wine, but as long as I didn't have to plan it, I'm happy.

The birthday party plans are going well and I've even asked Becky to contribute her loved Chex mix to the food table. She and Mr. Becky can't come (their loss!) but her food donation will be there, so Jas and his Work Wife will be happy. Becky's Chex Mix is like crack... it is quite good and hard to resist.

So, I gave up on the hand sewn outfit for the birthday boy and am thankful the backup shirt I ordered came and looks AMAZING(ly bad). Together we will be a sparkly, hyper flammable duo. Thankfully no one will be smoking around us because we would ignite like a Christmas tree in March. It would be painful, but at least it would be quick.



I'm kind of in stream of consciences mode right now. The goal is to stay awake tonight until a reasonable hour. I was so tired last night that I drifted off at 8pm and then was awake from 11 until after 1. I couldn't get the temperature in the room regulated so it was HOT and I usually have fitful dreams and nightmares when I'm hot. Last night was no exception.

I've got the window cracked right now and will see if that helps. I'm on the second floor with no chance of creeps crawling in my window so don't worry about that mom!

ok, I guess that's it. We're almost getting into a discussion about the color of my socks and that's just boring.

Have a great evening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was SO wonderful seeing you and really brought to light how much I miss you and your funny stories! I was so glad that you and M were there while I was there. I'm going to make more of an effort to find time to see my "megabank" friends more often. Wow have I missed everyone! xoxo

Anonymous said...

OMG- the next word verification was "gregod". Think about it.

Greg God. yipes.