Pages

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Rainy Monday

I had a brief moment of worry that once the wedding was over and we were moved into the house that Jason and I would sit around the house and stare at each other with a terrible case of the "now what?"s. That has not been the case. We are happily busy nesting and spending time with friends celebrating THEIR lives.

This weekend we ventured into Ballard for a house warming party. The party was fun, we met some very interesting people (including a close talker) and had fun sharing how we knew the hostess. "Um, well, I worked at the same place as a friend of hers about ten years ago..." I guess the "mutual friends" thing didn't occur to me. That would have been a LOT simpler.

It was fun motoring through my old neighborhood and seeing the amazing changes. When I lived in Ballard we joked that it was the "Phinney Flats" because the Ballard association was not a good one. Ballard was teeming with old folks driving their Dodge Darts around with the seat belt hanging out of the driver door and sparking on the roadway as they "eased" down 24th.

The neighborhood has a wonderful urban feel with interesting shops and lots of midsized condos. Heck, even the ancient QFC has been torn down and replaced with a very fancy store with condos on top. Thankfully, the little independent burger place next door still stands. A nice mix of big business and the little guy please me.

This next weekend we're out to celebrate the impending marriage of a mildly nice guy to a girl who must have terrible selection skills. I lie... I'm excited to actually meet this gal and will say that my friend who is usually dark and sardonic has been quite chipper as of late.

In preparation for Jas' birthday (40!) we're prepping for a 70's themed bash at our house. You've seen the wig and I've got the loft in a horrific state of mess. The ironing board is out, the red menace is out of the closet and I've got the "good" scissors out of hiding. Yes folks, I AM SEWING. I am overcome every now and again with a desire to do something totally crazy and when our trip to the thrift store to find an outfit for Jason resulted in an all out "heebie jeebies" attack I realized that no second hand clothes would ever cover his body, so off to the fabric store we went.

If the project turns out well he should be the star of the party. I cut the front of the WHITE JUMPSUIT and was overcome with giggles. When I get the back cut and pieced together he'll try it on and if there's hope I'll do the finish work, but if he looks like the stay-puft marshmallow man I'll let him opt out of my nutty idea. He will have to find some sort of suitable disco wear tho.... it is his birthday, so a costume is in order.

He did make me promise not to use the birthday pictures as our Christmas card next year, but gosh that is so far away and I might not remember my passive nod of agreement.

Stay dry out there...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks again for venturing to your old 'hood for the party! Do you remember if the Scooter's burger place is any good? Bethie loves the name and wants to try it out but we haven't made it there yet.