Pages

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Jesus made wine....

I had a coffee date today with Pastor Gretchen, who is the music minister at St. Matthew's Lutheran Church. She played for us at our wedding and is possibly the coolest clergy person ever. She's a few years younger than me and is very "down to earth". I really like her.

We talked about everything under the sun, newly married life, work, politics, gays in the military (do we REALLY need a study to see if it's ok that the thousands of gay military people announce they are gay?) Gretchen suggested that its strange how "we" spend so much time and energy worrying about who is sleeping with who and not focused on things that matter like resolving real issues like famine and starvation.

One of the church projects she's working on is a thing called Luther's Table; it is a bar/pub space in the new veteran's building in Renton. It will be a social place, and there will be some aspect of sharing the faith message, but in a very secular and real life setting. I don't think the idea is to pounce on folks having a beer and tell them Jesus Christ is their personal savior, but to show that 'churchy people' can be about community.

It is definitely an experiment and I hope it works out. Gretchen is very involved and we were talking about programs and I of course got excited about different things - like trivia nights and (ooh!) poetry slams. She asked if I'd be willing to host such a thing (poetry slam) and my answer would be an unequivocal yes. I have very little talent, but I can write a funny poem and stand on stage to share it with strangers. I'm quite the show off.

Luther's Table is still in the early stages but I'm willing to participate. It sounds like a fun and interesting adventure.

2 comments:

MWR said...

I'm sure the Lord will forgive me if I wait for the Baptist strip club to open up next door.

PNB Dave said...

To quote the King Missile song,
"Jesus was way cool.
Everybody liked Jesus.
Everybody wanted to hang out with him.
Anything he wanted to do, he did.
He turned water into wine."