Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Martha Update

Mom came up, we headed to Bellingham early Friday and were at the house at 9:30. Barbara the type A friend came at 11 and we hussled all day.

Mom worked in the "dining room" aka the "office" and broke everything down - packed 2 computers, a sewing machine, lots of quilting materials, hundreds of floppy disks (like those can be used anymore) and took down the tables.

Barbara started boxing books and records while I collected cable equipment, stacked boxes, moved furniture, and sorted treasures.

In a day and a half we took a truckload and a half to the dump, a truckload to goodwill and boxed the bedroom, living room, dining room and 80% of the kitchen. The art room is still in need of some time, and the bathroom hasn't been touched - although I threw out the toothbrushes and some unidentifiable things.

We did visit E in the nursing home. She is distinctively better than when I saw her last, she still is content to sleep and let the staff take care of her. She had no inclination to sit up and visit with us, and when I mentioned that I picked up her mail she asked where it was, but was happy with the answer that I have it. She doesn't care about her bills or anything else.

She said she wants to go home, and I didn't see the need at this point to tell her we're moving her out of that house. I reminded her we had talked about assisted living and she said she remembered that. If she "lucids up" and asks directly, mom suggests telling her she got evicted. I don't think a lie is necessary. If she gets well enough to go live alone we'll get her a new place - this one sucks.

I think one or two more trips will do the trick. I'm happy to pay movers to haul the stuff to storage, but I want the house boxed before I get a quote. I don't want to pay more because they can't see through the mess in the "art room."

I rescued the jewelry and the family photos. Mom is storing the crystal and some of the really old family heirlooms. It is a bit strange to have E in such a state of perpetual transition. I have to remember that she might return to a semi-functional state and if she does she will want her jewelry back so its not mine. I am interested if any of the clear white items are actual diamonds. I know my grandmothers ring is, (not that I can wear it, she had the smallest fingers) but some of the earrings are questionable.

The next obvious question is, if any of the items are actually valuable what is my obligation to turn them into cash to cover her bills? The car I will have no problem selling especially if she goes to a nursing home, but family jewelry, that is a harder decision.

In the sorting I did find an old coin collection. Woo Hoo, we're rich! The coins have increased in value a 100 fold - but five Indian Head pennies are not enough for anyone to retire on. Yes, the family coin collection is worth five whole dollars. I'll hang on to them and maybe the next generation will be able to buy a latte AND a scone with the collection.

I think a couple more trips and I'm done! I may be making the post Easter call for friends - but we'll see.

No comments: