Pages

Monday, March 03, 2008

Movie Review: Penelope

You probably haven't heard of this one unless you're a 13 year old girl. Penelope is a charming little story about a girl who was cursed and born with a snout (think porky pig.) Only true love will free her from the curse. Cue James McAvoy and *swoon*.

The girls in the audience (me included) seemed to enjoy the story even if it was a bit predictable. Pig faced girl frightens away all suitors, a man comes and pretends to like her, she figures it out just as he falls in love and then drama drama drama. Weave in a moped and Reese Witherspoon and you've got a cute date movie.

I was a tad perplexed by some of the scenery - for the most part the movie seems to take place in a magical ageless European local with cobblestone streets, street vendors and then whamo we're taken to a decidedly American city. Most disturbing thing of all was to make that that transition we are given a night time aerial view of SEATTLE…complete with a shot of the Ban Roll-On building and WaMu tower. It took me out of fantasy movie mode and into trying to figure out where the movie was actually filmed. (I hate that.)

James McAvoy pulls off a better than average American accent and is quickly forgiven for slipping into his Scottish tongue because he's dreamy. Where did this young man come from? Is he really attractive or am I just charmed by the stupid accent? I fear that one day you'll find me following around Scottish men like a child marching after the Pied Piper. (It's probably the main reason I've not been to the U.K.) Furthermore, am I reaching an age where I shouldn't be intrigued by movie stars who aren't even 30 yet? But, since he's realistically never coming over to have dinner and drink my wine *wink* does it matter?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

James McAvoy *is* beyond dreamy... you aren't imagining it. And the brogue only enhances his appeal. I am reminded of the many months I lived in Edinburgh during college. I practically fell in love with every guy who spoke to me! ;) Who knew Scotland would be such a "dangerous" place...