Pages

Thursday, March 06, 2008

'Mornin

Happy crisp Thursday to you all! I'm happy to have the week wrapping up. It's been nutty at work.

There are FOUR audits going on that affect my group. If you don't happen to work for a company that does regular audits they are supposed to be short engagements from unbiased folks who assess the controls and effectiveness of the work you do.

The Auditors who are assessing the process I manage keep getting off into tangent areas and it's very irritating. Instead of focusing on whether or not widgets I control are accurate they are intensely focused on the tool I use to track the widgets and can't get off the fact that some of the fields are (seriously) not marked as "required." Never mind that the person who submits the widget request can't know that information and the analyst that processes the request ALWAYS completes it they want the field marked "required." KILL ME NOW!

In addition the other three audits are touching my group too because as they go and assess the 3rd Party Network Hub they are coming to me to see if the non-standard connections have widgets on file (I'm a control point for policy violations.) This doesn't sound to terrible except that that particular auditor wants his information in real-time. He sends an e-mail, then pops up in Instant Messaging and then if I'm doing something else and ignore him the muther-f*cker calls me. Because I'm not listed on his Audit RFI apparently I don't get the standard 24-48 hour turn around window. I guess my entire life is supposed to be dedicated to getting this a-hole who doesn't read the e-mails I send so I have to answer questions twice.

The other audits have been minor annoyances - but I'm still fielding the same questions from different directions. It's good to be organized so you can just forward the same reply over and over again.

Mom is coming up next week and we're going to pop up to Bellingham to do a little boxing and tossing! It will be nice to see her.

On the vanity front, this week two different people have told me that when they first saw me they didn't recognize me. Seriously? I'm not sure what the appropriate response is, but I just kind of laugh and say "Thanks, I've been working on it." It seems like a better reply than "Yeah, I'm a rock star who is too good to talk to the likes of you!"

Finally, I broke down and bought a new desk for my home office. It's very pretty and I love it! It does make it apparent that I need a better chair because this one is too low and my back starts to hurt after a while. It's a good thing that that ATM machine I put in my dining room is stocked!

1 comment:

MJS said...

Uh...hello? Picture of the desk? :)