Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Here I am

I took J to the airport this morning. He and his parents are spending a week discovering historic early America. They will be exploring Jamestown, Fredricksburg and other sites important to our collective history.

I'm not overly excited about him being gone for a week, but as my three week Greece holiday is coming right up I was careful not to be whiny about his trip. I teased him about him finding someone better while he was on his trip but since he's traveling with his parents and their friend Sally (65) its pretty unlikely.

J has been dolling out the information about he and I to his parents in a slow and indirect way. I keep telling him that his mom is a woman and that she NEEDS details, but he's convinced that because they haven't been able to see us together like my family and the rest of his that it's better not to overwhelm her with how serious things are. I kind of get it, its only been two months and some of my people are surprised at the level of togetherness that J and I have achieved - but "they" say... when you know, you know.

His parents will be here for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I'm pretty confident that by Thanksgiving his parents will be 100% in the know about us. Heck, I think they are already - you can't tell me that not one of the 400 cousins hasn't called to "share" about J's girlfriend who they got to meet. Or that the fact that I'm at his house every time they call - 10 pm Saturday night and still there at 9am Sunday morning... these are smart people and it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Boys and their moms have a special bond which I appreciate and will honor, but I think he fails to realize that in some areas women are women. He thinks that because she's the mother of a son that she's not into the girly things and I think he's wrong. We were talking about the planning of a large hypothetical social event (calm down, nothing is planned or seriously on the table at this point) and I suggested that if we get to that point I'd like to make sure his mom gets to be participate in the planning. He assured me that she wouldn't care about that (again, because she's the mother of a son.) Oh, I 100% disagree. I bet money that if it should come to pass that she'll be excited and probably touched to be included.

Anyway, all that is neither here nor there. There's no planning taking place - we're focused on getting through this week, enjoying our long weekend in Long Beach in two weeks and then getting through the 22 days while TP is hanging out in Greece. And, if I hear from one more person that "absence makes the heart grow fonder", I'm going to pop them in the mouth. Yes, missing someone does intensify your feelings but it also sucks. Besides, I'm not sure how much more fond of J I can get...

So, J's out of town and like the friend who only calls you when they are between relationships I expect to be posting more frequently this week.

No comments: