Pages

Thursday, September 04, 2008

This may be part of the problem

There might be reasons why the Greece trip isn't quite the anticipated event that normal vacations are. Last night I tried to arrange my travel from Athens to Keci Buku.

I have a flight from Athens to Rhodes, Turkey- where I will apparently pay for a visa to enter the country. Then I have 24 hours to take a hydrofoil to the island of Marmaris and then catch a taxi to Keci Buku. Somewhere in there I need to find a place to sleep.

My initial thought is to get to Keci Buku and just be there, but the places to stay are minimal, however, there are so many options on Marmaris that it's a tad daunting. Ideally, I'd like to stay at or near the marina - but I can't seem to find anything. Marmaris is a resort and the hotels I'd like to book have a three night minimum and appear to be all inclusive. The "lesser" more adventurous places have warnings about location from previous guests.

Maybe I should just wing it, get there and then spend my day finding a place to stay. People do it all the time, and I should be able to set my apprehensions aside.

I'm not planning where to stay on the back end of the trip. I'm going with the flow and will only book my hotel in Athens for the night before I leave. (Holiday Inn at the airport!)

I think if I was able to nail down how I was getting to the port to catch the sailboat my excitement level would increase. It bugs me that I'm haven't been able to work this out. The guidebooks and the online information for the sailboat people said I should work with an agent to make this happen. I guess, that's what I'm going to have to do.

And... I so have to get a new photo on my passport. I look NOTHING like the puffy gal in the picture. That is my task for today.

UPDATE: Noon, passport update accomplished. New passport with my better photo will be here in 7-10 days. Whew!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be adventurous - its always fun. Did it in melbourne and stayed at a real dive , but meet some good people.

MWR said...

I would say just show up and find something. You are just looking for a place to sleep due to the logistics of your trip. You are not looking for a resort hotel.

However, does it concern you at all that Rhodes is actually a part of Greece and that Marmaris is not an island but a city on the Turkish mainland?