Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sinead O'Connor No More

One of the side effects of weight loss surgery is the irritating loss of hair. It has to do with the diminished amount of protein that is absorbed and the mere act of the surgery can shock your system enough to cause the hair to fall out.

For me, this was frustrating because I already had (have) a thin patch at the top of my head. I'm not sure if this is genetic or due to my terrible diet pre-surgery - regardless, having MORE hair fall out was not a side effect I was looking for.

Thankfully (I guess) it is a slow process. It started in earnest about 2 months after surgery and lasted for about 4 months. I would lose hair in the shower, while brushing my hair, walking and breathing. Some WLS patients can't stand it and cut their hair short (not cancer patient short, but short.) I am vain and decided that a comb over was the way to go.

While it may have been noticeable to everyone, most people didn't say anything. There's nothing like being told about something you know about, hate, but can't do anything to fix. (See Pres. G.W. Bush)

In the last few months the shedding has slowed to a normal rate, there's still hair in my brush, but I'm not clogging the vacuum anymore (not that I actually vacuum... please!)

More exciting than the fact that I've stopped being invited to the Sinead O'Connor fan club meetings, my hair is actually growing back. I didn't notice at first, but now I have a 1 1/2 inch halo of hair at my scalp. It looks like frizz, but I'm not complaining. It means that within a few months or so, my hair will be fuller and less "thin" up top.

Woo Woo.

No comments: