Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The bubble

I've been accused of being in a "Love Bubble" in the blog-o-sphere and am making an effort to get back to my "witty" "smart" and "enjoyable" content. But, I'm not making that effort right now. (lol)

Today, I will bore you with horrific wedding details.

As a 40 year old bride there are things that work and things that just don't. Pink - as a color scheme frankly loses its oomph after the age of 34. The bubble skirt is also a monstrous look that on anyone over the age of 16 looks silly and stupid. (My apologies if you are wearing a bubble skirt right now... but TAKE IT OFF, it is WRONG.)

Things that work for a 40 year old bride - paying your own way. Making decisions and only having to make one other person happy is great. I can't imagine trying to explain to my mom why the sable colored organza ribbon printed with our names is important. (For the record - no such item has been discussed, has been ordered, nor is in the works.)

Today we discussed and decided on a fun thing for the wedding. We researched and purchased photo booth services (you know, like the penny arcade thing) for the wedding. Our guests will get to take home the photos they take and we ( J&I) will get a CD with all the pictures. We think it will be a groovy interactive activity.

Plus, we will set it up next to the second bar, so we are confident that as that bar gets action the pictures will get more and more "special". No nudity though- there will be an attendant. (Yes, Jody I am talking to you!)

Other things that are awesome about being a 40 year old bride is the ability to strongly say no to a vendor, caterer, florist, or whomever without the worry that I'm hurting any one's feelings, or being "bridezilla." "I SAID NO to the 'Macarena'! I'm sure I will instill fear in the heart of the DJ when I explain my adamant desire to have ONLY the approved country music played. I don't have friends in low places, so there's no reason to let ANYONE sing about it. Should someone bring Garth Brooks to the wedding as a guest, I suppose I MIGHT let it happen, but that's my only contingency plan.

Holy crap, that was a hell of a lot of "me" and "I". Don't judge me, no one will be filming the wedding for a terrible lifetime tv show. I promise to be gracious and happy the whole day no matter what.

The one draw back is that I've been a bridesmaid at so many weddings that my efforts to avoid the things that irritated me are causing a little bit of strife. Apparently you DO have to say that you want certain things. Having a wedding is something I've been waiting for (and it helps with the fact that I found the most neat-o-est of guys) but... being "THE BRIDE" and running the world is not a power trip for me. I was told (kindly) this weekend that I needed to voice my desires rather than negotiate the things that are important. Oh... so actually saying I want to spend the day with my girls vs. trying to fenagle them into spending the day with me is the way to go.

Any who.... as I read this back, I'm realizing that my second glass of wine is effecting my ability to track and record thoughts. So, recapping:

Pink after 40 -- BAD
Bubble Skirt -- BAD
Photo Booth -- Bad Ass (which means GOOD to you old fogey's)
Bridezilla -- BAD
Being Clear on the things that are important to you -- GOOD.
My friends -- Awesome
Second Glass of Wine -- ill advised.

1 comment:

Donna said...

You know what I always say... "just because they make it in YOUR size, doesn't mean you HAVE to wear it."

I know the feeling you describe aobut being in control of your decisions and not feeling bad. Darren and I married, it was a 2nd for each of us -- we wanted it special and to have a picture opportunity so we chose a nice chapel, but didn't feel obligated to have the big bash -- it was perfect and far better than that effin' "fairy tale" I had the first time. :) Although failing there got me where I am today, so it wasn't a total loss. :)

Glad you are well... even with the 2nd glass of wine!