Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

T minus 1 day

Tomorrow is "D" day for my team at MegaBank. It will be a mostly uneventful event. They will come in, give me their laptops and then we will go have "lunch." By "Lunch" I mean drinks. That's the plan anyway. I'm pretty sure no one will be in the mood to go out for a drinkie, but I've got the credit card in hand and am ready to buy a few rounds.
I've been somewhat detached about the reality of this situation. I know its happening, I have been preparing and talking with them about it, and since the middle of December my team hasn't been in the office. But this weekend it really hit me how badly this really sucks.
In 2001 when eCharge closed its doors we were all in the same boat. Top to bottom, executives to file clerks - we were all informed on the same day that we no longer had jobs as of 2 weeks earlier (dirty bastards.) It sucked, it was shocking and it was awful but at least we were all equally screwed.
This time it feels worse. Maybe it is the fact that we've had weeks and weeks to sit and stew knowing that 'we' aren't wanted, or maybe that "they" made decisions about peoples future without really knowing them. Maybe I just really respect the team of folks I work with and feel like they are getting a raw deal.
So, tomorrow is going to suck. I may even show emotion - so much for being the "strong, managerial" type. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: