Pages

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Movie Review: Death Race

CAVEAT: this movie was not written or produced for women. It is a movie for dudes, and honestly, not for the majority of the dudes who read this blog. Yes, I'm talking to you MJS and MWR...

Also, I must confess that I slept through 80% of this movie, so there is a slight chance that I may have missed the deep and meaningful point.

Plot: In the year 2020 (or sometime in the near future) prisons are run by private companies and in order to maximize profits they televise epic car races (to the death) and our hero is set up so that he can go to prison and be the next Death Racer. He rides around in his pimped out armored car and gets shot at by a meaner guy (you can tell he's mean because he smokes. Oh, and he's shooting at you.)

Joan Allen plays the warden and it is disturbing to see someone so refined drop the f-bomb over and over again.

In the end...the race is rigged, people get blown up in very stylized ways and I couldn't sleep last night because I had a 1 1/2 hour nap at 8pm.

If you're looking for a modern version of Mad Max and the Punnisher this is your show. It was very slick and other than the fact that I as a woman, hated it, as dude shoot-em-up movies go - this wasn't terrible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Refined my ass! That fucking Joan Allen doesn't wash her food. I've seen her eat--fucking disgusting!

Anonymous said...

The original Death Race 2000 is cult, classic and fucking fantastic. A remake I imagine could not match.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072856/