Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Huh?

As I came into the lobby this morning, I was assaulted by an odd sight; a "career fair" booth was set up directly across from the security station.

 

When working at a big company you expect the random booths to be set up in the lobby.  United Way day usually brings out a few tables and Community Reinvestment Day brings out the "volunteer here" booths.  New product campaigns generally bring freebies and information.  All these events seem normal, but a career fair where external companies are trolling our staff for the best and brightest is an odd occurrence.

 

In other work news, I had my final "evaluation" with my manager today.  I'm a "solid contributor" which means, average.  I'm fine with that assessment from him.  We talked for a long time about how hard the year was and how he and I could have communicated better.

 

I'm learning (about myself) that I tend to swallow the big irritations but explode over the minor ones.  I could have told him early on that it was extremely frustrating to me that he wasn't talking to me, but I waited until today...when our manager/employee relationship is essentially over.    What is that!?  I'm a strong confident person, where does the conflict avoidance come from? 

No comments: