Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Brokeback Blog

Ok, so "Brokeback" is the new acceptable phrase to indicate something is G_A_Y. It was amusing when Jon Stewart made a "Brokeback Senate" joke, but now it's starting to get old. The more "jokes" I hear the more I think it's people feeling really free to express their homophobia.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that not everyone has the same level of acceptance that I do when it comes to same sex partners - but I am. It saddens me that otherwise reasonable people are comfortable with the idea that who you sleep with is a spot on your moral character. I know... the Bible says blah blah blah. We certainly don't feel the need to live by the Bible in every way - society has chosen to take many of the teachings and ignore them altogether or consider them historical references. The fact that this "rule" is still held out as a sin against God has more to do with us than it does with God.

I'm don't want to get into a grand religious debate - you believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. I try to have compassion for others and try to accept and understand that my way isn't really the 'best way' but it is just one way to be.

I would just ask you to check yourself before you make the easy "Brokeback" joke and examine your motivation. Are you being funny or spreading hate? (I'll check myself as well.)

2 comments:

MWR said...

People in the future will wince at the gay jokes that poplulate our culture just as we wince at "Amos & Andy."

tp_gal said...

I hope so