Pages

Friday, December 01, 2006

Sleepless nights, Madonna & a stop watch

I was pretty pooped yesterday, so after a trip to the grocery store *Hip Hip Horray for fresh Milk!* and a decent dinner I headed to bed and snuggled up to read. (I totally envy my friends with husbands and kids but I know they don't get to snuggle up in bed with a book whenever they want. I do remember to appreciate the single life freedoms just as I hope they appreciate the joys of kid adoration and the comfort of a spouse to share the good and irritating things in life.)

After 9:30 I found myself holding the book but realized my eyes were closed and I was 'thinking' about the last thing I read. (This is code for drifting off to sleep.) I decided to go for it and snapped off the light and gave in. All was dandy until 1:27 when I awoke. (In college Becca and I use to call this the wee wee hours - a phrase stolen from a Bruce Springsteen song.) Usually I can pop back into bed, move the cat out of the center of the bed and drift back to dreamland where Josh Lucas or Logan Echols is waiting to clean my house. Not last night, the longer I laid in the dark the more awake I became. It's not like I've got anything weighty on my head these days but I couldn't turn my brain off.

Giving up I snapped on the tv to find Madge (who use to be Madonna) performing a concert. It was pretty good, but not really intended to be watched by the 'I want to be asleep' demographic. Flashing lights and quick cuts from the dancers to Madge was enough to give me a seizure. Luckily for me there was a twilight zone episode on Spike. After 15 minutes of a man with a magic stop watch that could stop the world clicking stop... and then an obvious pause of the film I started to spend more time under my eyelids. I'm disappointed that I don't know what happened to stop watch man, I wonder if he like Adam Sandler had to "catch up" at the end of his life. Or if he realized he was a terrible actor and that this was the only job he was ever going to get? Either way, I'm sure Rod Sterling had some witty and thought provoking to say about it.

Have a delightful day!

No comments: