Pages

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

On the road again

The alarm sounds menacing at 4:15 a.m.  I hoped that due to the crazy wind and rain we were having that Alaska Airlines would cancel or delay my flight so I could stay in bed.  NO SUCH LUCK.    I boarded the flight to San Jose this morning at 6:25 .  As long as I don’t choose to fly on Monday morning, the flight is relatively light.  At 6:25 I could sleep on a full flight, but I had room to cross my legs and really drift off.

 

Arriving at 9 and getting a rental car (so far I say Budget is hands down the winner against Dollar.)  Budget is a more expensive rental, but the car is actually pleasantly clean and has no dings, odd sounds or smells.  I’m zipping around San Jose in a bright blue PT cruiser.   The color reminds me of my Jetta – a happy BRIGHT BRIGHT blue.

 

So, here I am, “in the office”.  My goals this week include leaving Friday with a plan of action (and tasks) for the following week.   Already I have been busy and motivated.    

 

My other plan is to survive the week here and not take advantage of the freebies.  I can for the most part pass the free sodas, ignore the free (high calorie, no protein) granola bars, and the mystery sandwich supplies that show up and the disappear off the counter in our coffee area.  However, the Wednesday free Noah’s Bagel Day is a harder “pass” for me.  A toasted bagel with herbed cream cheese makes me happy.  It is a carbohydrate nightmare with little to no protein value but shoot… it tastes so good!

 

I’m told that in the kitchens on the second floor there are different free food options and I may wander up there, but I’m afraid of what I might find.  What if the free things are homemade oatmeal raisin cookies or Lord help me Costco birthday cake?  I won’t survive it.   This weight thing is an ongoing and forever battle for me.   My surgery helps me to limit the amount I can eat, but it doesn’t control WHAT I eat.  That’s my job and frankly this ‘on the road’ thing is testing me.

 

Thankfully, I don’t stay long enough on Friday to skip the afternoon lawn party complete with adult beverages.  A cocktail at 3pm Friday afternoon would be a nice way to cap off the week – but I don’t know how these folks do it week after week.

 

In spite of the hilariously early rousting this morning, I will be taking my bagel avoiding behind to the hotel gym tonight.   I am motivated and determined to not let this disruption of my schedule disrupt my healthy terri plan.

1 comment:

PNB Dave said...

At a performing arts organization where I still work part-time and once worked full-time for a year, we used to open a couple-three bottles of wine as we wound down the week on a Friday afternoon. Good times.

Seems to me another place I once worked used to get pizza and beer for the crew fairly regularly after a busy Saturday, too. TP, does that ring any bells?