Pages

Monday, May 04, 2009

Postal Judgement?

With the sale of the Renton condo almost complete (we are waiting for the lender to get a 'better' copy of my buyers drivers license -- grrr) I've made the commitment to change my address with the US Postal Service.

They do confuse me because they couldn't process my online request due to how they validate the credit card used to identify me. I guess making it difficult saves people from changing their most hated neighbor's address just to be mean. (Not that I would ever do that...no matter how hard he slams his door or how much mud he leaves on our shared stoop.)

Back to the point Terri.

Ok, so the online thing failed therefore we mailed in actual paperwork and I got a letter at both addresses confirming the "immediate" change. For the next two weeks all of my mail continued to go to the old address. I kept waiting for something to be "immediately" forwarded to the new place.

Every day... nothing. Sad.

Finaly this Saturday my first piece of forwarded mail arrived. I checked the familar yellow sticker to see my address printed correctly. Only, um - it wasn't my letter. Dayna Nickerson at some address in Newcastle failed to get her MAC private sale information because it came to me. Two things bothered me - the first is that our addresses aren't even remotely similar and the second was her name. "DAY-NA" - please.

Today I checked the mail and happily found a letter with the yellow sticker that was actually my mail. Woo Woo. This process may actually work. (I did call the sender to officially update my address.) The mail brought other wonderful items - my cell phone bill and Jason's debit cards for our new joint checking account. It also brought a large envelope from Fidelity informing me of my options regarding my 401k from MegaBank (since they don't exist anymore am I still under a gag order?)

The only thing notable about my mail is that each item that was addressed directly to me had a handwritten question mark on it. "?" Is the mail carrier confused as to why someone might suddenly have mail addressed to a new individual at their address? I thought that people moved all the time. Plus, I've been getting mail here since mid November - how strange that the post office person thinks its odd.

Whatever.

No comments: