Pages

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Still with power

I don't think I was wrong to worry, but the power held all night and the latest storm has passed.

My mailbox (snail mail) brought me greetings from Wells Fargo and my mortgage lender letting me know their thoughts are with me and my neighbors during this natural disaster. Um... thanks? How about a credit to my account - no, their thoughts aren't THAT with me.

I was discussing with the manager of the business continuity dept. at work about the 3 days 3 ways campaign the state has going on right now. I don't think I was prepared for three days without power let alone seven. I had enough food and water but I wasn't prepared for the cold. I'm not sure how to change that either - a generator seems like overkill for a condo, but I heard one in the complex so it's not completely off the table. I could have hung out a long time with a little heat and warmish water.

Maybe it would have been different if I wasn't having to worry about getting to work during those days but I imagine even with a major earthquake (which is the most likely scenario in the pnw) that eventually I would have to go back to work.

Some one asked me last week if we had any crime in our area during the aftermath and I'm happy to say that I didn't hear of anything, although someone did lose their house. The fire may not have been storm related, but the timing is right. It was a small house with one floor and I'm hopeful that everyone made it out ok.

I'm still a little jumpy when the power flickers but I think more than anything the big blow of '06 should be a wake up call to be better prepared.

No comments: