Pages

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Tax Man Cometh

I love tax time. It's so wonderful to be able to fill out form after form about money I've already spent.

I'm in the paper gathering phase and I wish I had been more diligent about saving receipts for all the retail spending I accomplished in 2006. I LOVE Amazon for keeping my order history for years and years. Phoey on Apple.com for not. They offered to e-mail receipts at my last two purchases so maybe the store has a record even if I don't. I do have the receipt for the computer and that's a nice little addition to the sales tax deduction. Too bad I didn't put any money into a 401k or some sort of retirement account. That's going to be a bummer when I try to retire.

My goal for '07 is to be more organized and actually save all those crazy receipts for random purchases. If I save every receipt with sales taxes that are a dollar or more it could add up and be worth the sorting mess. SInce its early in the year it is the perfect time to do it. I'm sure some of you have perfect bins and sorting tables for all receipts but I just am not that with it.

My date with the accountant looms, and if you never hear anything more about it you'll know that I took it in the rear end this year. I need to adopt me some kids or something.

No comments: