Pages

Friday, January 18, 2008

1 vs. 100 - I mean 3850

CNN is ablaze with info about the beautiful, pregnant dead Marine who was likely murdered.  It certainly has the trifecta of media worthiness, Attractive, White, Pregnant woman who (BONUS) is a Marine goes missing and is later found dead.    This story is tragic, to be sure and my heart genuinely goes out to her family, friends and colleagues. 

However, I'm disgusted at the media (and the publics) willingness to quietly ignore the other dead Army, Air Force, Navy, National Guard and Marine casualties that are taking place on a daily basis.  To date (according to www.globalsecurity.org) 3850 US deaths have been attributed to the Iraq war, and an astounding 28,773 men and women have been wounded.  Is their pain and suffering any less newsworthy than the senseless murder of this beautiful, pregnant woman? 

I think not.

Yes, there are stories every day about the war, but for the majority of us it doesn't affect our daily lives so it's easy to focus on stuff that seriously doesn't matter.  My crazy weight loss journey, the writer's strike, the cancellation (gasp) of the Golden Globes to name a few things that in the course of our world have little impact.  (My wlj is important to me, and don't think you're getting any kind of reprieve from having to hear about it…)

Frankly, I also worry about our idiot man-child president and his big flabbing mouth getting us into more hot water in the gulf region before we can replace him with ANYONE that will be less of a danger to our nation or the entire globe at large.

Sigh.. I'm off my soap box.  ( A quick shout out to the NSA… hi fellas!  I'll be out of town this weekend so you don't have to set up the wiretaps on my phone until Monday - enjoy your weekend.)


1 comment:

MWR said...

She had not volunteered, nor was she being paid, to be raped and later murdered by her rapist. That is a big reason why her story is more newsworthy than those of a lot of other soldiers, many of whom by this point are people who joined up after we were in occupation mode in Iraq.