Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Almost Moon

The Almost Moon is Alice Sebold's follow up to her much touted and loved The Lovely Bones. I have to tell you that if you were a fan of TLB... The Almost Moon probably isn't for you. It holds none of the same charm nor does it have a single likable character.

I'm ok with complicated characters, but I'm not ok with book that is a death spiral of bad decisions and worse solutions. Those sort of books (and movies) stress me out. Except when it's done as farce... Very Bad Things was a crazy death spiral of a movie that really made me laugh. Disturbing, but funny.

I wholeheartedly do NOT recommend this book to my friends, or even those of you who really hack me off. Frankly, I don't recommend this book to anyone. To those out in the world who think I'm just bitter and cynical I tell you that the New York Times called this book "an assault on trees."

Ah HA!!!! Proof Positive that the New York Times is as smart as I am! Those of you who doubted that the NYTs is brilliant and well written need not worry any more. They have a rock solid recommendation from me. I'm sure they are very pleased - they really should be.

As I write this, I'm wondering if maybe I haven't dissed this book already. If I have, then I guess you'll just have to chalk it up to the fact that it is just that bad.

I am FULLY aware that I am not a published author and that writing novels is hard work and that those who can do it should be respected for their effort especially by us "blog hacks" but dude... this book sucked.

No comments: