Pages

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Countrywide SUCKS!

Sorry to out a national branded company for poor customer serivce, but my story must be told.

I had a mortgage through Countrywide that I re-financed in February. I was with them for three years and one month. Through diligence and good timing I was able to take my shitty 3 year adjustable rate mortgage and turn it into a 30 year fixed rate before the bottom dropped out of the market. (whew!)

I've recieved all the paperwork releasing CW's claim on my condo and thought my relationship with them was severed. (They send SO much mail encouraging you to take the equity out of your property that it felt... oh I don't know, PREDATORY!)

So, on October 4th I get a letter from Candice at Country Wide Tax Reclamation Group stating that in 2004 they paid a tax payment to King County on my property from some other account, and they would like their $847 back please. To show the error they included a copy of a canceled check that did indeed have my tax number on it.

I'm not really very smart, but even I know a copy of a canceled check is NOT proof of overpayment. A quick check of the online records for King County were inconclusive as the records only go back 3 years. (One might wonder if countrywide knows this little fact but I doubt their timing is malicious.) The very nice person at King County records tells me that while the online records only go back 3 years, the off-line records would only show that the tax was paid, not what date or from what check. She did confirm that at no time was an overpayment applied. The County policy is if they get a check for paid taxes they reject the payment (and don't document it...thanks.)

I quickly called the number on the letter (nicely stamped in urgent red ink FIRST NOTICE) to speak with Candice. I left a message and waited a day... fearing that she was on vacation I tried calling the main number, but when I was transferred to the department the phone rang, then didn't ring, then disconnected.

I resorted to snail mail. I asked for a complete accounting of all the monies withheld and paid from my escrow account (including the starting balance at the escrow company from the time CW obtained my loan.)

I waited patiently for either a phone call back or a letter. Instead I received a certified letter stamped SECOND NOTICE. Reminding me that I owe this money and they will send me to collection to get it. BRING IT ON COUNTRYWIDE.

I called back and left another message for Candice - still no answer. Since I have other things going on in my life (and it took them three years to figure out they may have made a mistake) I don't really have the patience to force them to talk to me.

This week I got the FINAL NOTICE and as I haven't received any reply from my phone calls (now numbering 4) and letter I'm stumped. If I owe the money, I'll be happy (not happy) to pay - but they have to prove it. If I sent them a copy of a check I sent to them in 2004 and said it was an over payment they would laugh at me.

Frankly, I wonder how many people just fold. If they send me to collection they will have to prove the overpayment, I'm happy to go to court just to get answers.

Your advice and comments are welcome.

1 comment:

MJS said...

$847 isn't worth getting a lawyer, but the pain in the ass of them dinging your credit is enough to start keeping a log of everything.

If they don't call you, start sending them a piece of snail.mail weekly (or at least 2x/month) as registered/signature required mail.

Since you're about to have some "free time" on your hands, I'd give their regulator a jingle and file a complaint and keep on them until something or someone budges.

Overall, cover your ass. If you don't - and you get a bad mark on your credit - it will be hard to win a small-claims suit.

Just my $0.02.