Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Death by a Thousand Papercuts

My recovery from surgery is going so well that I'm feeling sheepish about not going back to work. It's only been a week, and the trip to IKEA yesterday was almost too much so I still need to take it easy.

I'm still in a little pain, but not on meds. But there is something that is so irritating that it's keeping me up at night. My surgery was conducted lapriscopically - which means instead of a big 6 inch cut in my belly I have 6 little 1 inch incisions. Lapriscopic surgery has a faster recovery because they don't have to cut a lot of muscle (or move your ribs) but it also means that each one of those sites is recovery spot.

Each one of the sites is starting to heal and itch, and the surgi-tape is starting to come away which tickles and irritates the skin. I haven't progressed enough to where I could pull the tape free but man its really annoying. It seems wrong to tap into the narcotics because of being irritated... or is it?

3 comments:

Peepers said...

Hey Tp, thanks for the advice on Peony, I will probably skip that book since you say it stinks!

Sorry you are all itchy itchy. That's really annoying. I remember my incisions being kind of itchy too but not so bad they kept me up at night. =( Be sure to trim any of the steri-strips that have peeled up, eventually you'll have smaller and smaller strips. Personally if it were a matter of not getting sleep over it, I'd probably take something. Sleep is when you heal the most, so take care and rest up.

I don't know what it is about IKEA either.. I went there a few days post-op and it about killed me.

Also, please don't feel bad about missing work.. it's great that you are feeling so good, but your body will benefit from any extra rest you can give it. I thought I was feeling ok and then I went to work and it was just too much... so just take all the time you need. There's no reason to be walking around stooped over with a pillow if you don't have to. In hindsight I would have scheduled 2-3 weeks off at a minimum. If it will make you feel better maybe you can 'work from home' or something. =)

syp said...

Nothing is as annoying as itching!!! Don't even think about going back to work early. You need and deserve the rest. Take advantage of it while you can....

;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better (and so soon!), but do NOT go back to work yet. You need to rest after a big surgery like that.

Plus, it's not every day that you get to watch TV and go out shopping while others slave away at work... ENJOY the time off! ;)