Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

The I Do To Do's

S

I'm sitting in my hotel room ALONE (because I’m not the governor of anything) I made a list of all the little things that need to get done before the wedding.

These items are floating in my head and I think I have them under control, but the repressed project manager inside has decided it is better to get them on paper so that something important (or not important) doesn’t fall through the cracks.

I didn’t think the list was all that big – finish the favors, mail the invites, final number to the caterer… but alas as I started to dig into it the list grew from those three items to 45… 45! Of course, some things are optional or in the “If I had all the time in the world” category, but others like a welcome kit for the folks who are staying at the hotel with us is something I really want to do and haven’t put much thought into. I’m thinking once the invitations go out and we get a better sense of how many are staying the scope of that “to do” will be clearer. I’ve been to weddings where the B&G have left a gift bag with water, light snacks and information about the area and really appreciated it.

I put things on the list that are handled, but haven’t happened yet. For example, my first dress fitting is on the list but it is scheduled (for July 8th) so there’s not much “to do” there but show up with the correct undergarments and shoes.

The “mail the invitations” list is a bit more complicated, I started to assemble the invitations and it took two hours to get through the first page (of 3 ½) of names. Normally with “arts & crafts” I’m quick, but these are special, so I was slow and methodical. It will be a shame to put them in the mail, I don’t like the idea of non-wedding mail touching my pretty invitations. (OH MY GOLLY.. WHO AM I?????????)

While the list is large, thankfully there isn’t anything there that makes me want to throw up. Well, that’s not entirely true. It has become clear that I am the bride who will provide the wedding party a printout of where to be and when. It might be as simple as a little map to the “manor” and the totally optional Sunday family thing. Lucky me, I hired a wedding coordinator who gets to be the bridezilla by proxy. I get to stand around and make jokes while Melissa (my paid henchman) gives orders …oops, I mean “direction.”

One thing that is on my list that I think it super important, is to plan a post honeymoon event for Jason and I so that we don’t get back from our Canadian journey and look at each other and say “now what?” Truth be told, we’ll be busy doing the name change thing – bank accounts, credit cards, passports… that should keep me busy.

Meanwhile, we’ve got 86 days to get the to do’s completed so we can do the I do’s. Can’t wait!

No comments: