Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oh my, how rude!

We got a letter from Macy's the other day that signals the end of all humanity. Inside were twenty 20% off coupons for any item on our registry. The attached letter suggested that we hand out the coupons to our friends and family so they could "enjoy" the savings.

While I appreciate the option to save any money on the items on our registry, I will not be handing out coupons. Nothing says 'greedy' like "hey, here's a coupon for the gift you're now feeling obligated to buy me!"

Hey Macy's – brides aren't supposed to solicit for gifts! Registering is something we do to give folks an idea of what we would like should they CHOOSE to give a gift. We aren't technically supposed to even mention where we are registered unless we are directly asked. Putting the links to the online registries on our website was ok'd by Martha Stewart, the new Emily Post and the Wedding Channel, but coupons!? Not OK!

I may, if I feel flush this weekend review the registry for any limited availability items that we absolutely love and if the coupon is advantageous I may end up gifting myself – but frankly, I doubt it will happen.

Macy's does an "amazing" job of sending an email every day regarding the registry – letting us know what's on sale, what sale events are happening in the store and other helpful information. They are so consistent that I had to set up a rule in my email to capture and quarantine their messages. After the 19th, I can unsubscribe but until then for every 19 messages that I could care less about there's one that is important and I don't want to miss it.
I will miss the coupon distribution...sorry Macy's - this bride isn't rude.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Can I get a coupon please.

PNB Dave said...

I'll take one, too, please!