Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

it's all about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finished assembling the wedding invitations Sunday, while we watched a painful movie about a marriage. It might not have been the best karma to throw onto the invites, but I'm hopeful that we can take it as a lesson in what NOT to do. (Revolutionary Road - KateWinslet & Leo DiCaprio) I think a key message is don't disclose a deep dark indiscretion like "I've always hated you" or "I've been sleeping with your mother" 10 minutes before dinner guests arrive.

We'll mail the invitations after the holiday and there will be no turning back at that point. Actually, since we've paid the caterer for the Baron of beef, salmon and chicken - so there's no turning back now. Neither of us want to, but it is a big milestone to drop the invitations in the mail. They are packaged up all nice and neat. Seeing them on the shelf brings me joy.

Jason & I have been talking quite a bit about marriage and our chances for long term success. We agree that any marriage that implodes (see Jon & Kate, Britney Spears & Kevin whatshisname) is tragic, but we shouldn't fear failure, but seek a continual flow of communication and respect. (are you gagging yet?) I don't think the time we spend talking about how we'll keep this little union of ours on track is wasted. The rules of engagement have come in handy during our couple moments of aggravation - his knowing that I need a moment to form the correct words has been very beneficial. I do at times say the wrong thing and need to step back to get to the root of my point - especially when frustrated or feeling unsteady. We are (maybe blindly) optimistic that ours is the marriage that will be sustainable until we are ancient, old and saggy - but that optimism feels great. I'm thankful that there aren't any nagging thoughts of "ooh, are you SURE this is the right move?"

But - back to the point. Things are on track and I'm spending way more time in "wedding mode" than I thought that I would. Some of this is due to the first of the serious and official pre-event events. A small, but lovely soiree in the back yard of a dear friend. We are honored and humbled that folks want to celebrate our good luck and happiness at finding each other.

I know there's been lots of other news to comment on: have you heard that Michael Jackson died, or that yelling guy who pitches the ShamWow!? Bernie Madoff got 150 years in prison - good for him. Enjoy the chipped "beef" on toast - you dream stealing mof0!

1 comment:

PNB Dave said...

Billy actually pitched OxiClean, among other things, but not the ShamWow. That's a different guy.

Also, how does one assume the title of Baron of Beef? Is there some sort of royal hierarchy of food -- Burger King, Dairy Queen, Duke of Chowder (just a little in-joke for you Seattleites), Baron of Beef? Enquiring minds wanna know. Me, I want to be the Emperor of Pork Belly.