Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Suburban Stylist – Day 2

Today is day two of my Suburban Stylist experiment.


LOOK OF THE DAY Casual comfortable! I’m flying home today and wanted to be chic and yet comfy.




TIP OF THE DAY: When selecting shoes for a travel day, be sure to pick a pair you can easily walk for a long period of time and a pair that comes off quickly for the airport scan. I try to select a pair that can fit with my laptop in the bin to reduce the bins I’m having scanned. The gladiator sandals that have the straps you have to tie around your legs will cause the savvy business traveler behind you to make a heavy sighing sound.




QUESTION OF THE DAY: Are bare shoulders ok in the work place? This top is a bare shouldered number but it isn’t an “off the shoulder” top like you might find at a cheesy “Mexican” joint. I did grab a sweater and will put it on for travel and walks around the campus.

LOCATION OF THE DAY: The dimly lit “foyer” of my San Jose Fairfield Inn “suite” (meaning, my room has a bed AND a couch. The TV can’t actually be viewed from the couch, but it’s a great place to store my bags.



ABOUT THE OUTFIT: Golly – what to say, it is jeans and a top. There’s nothing remarkable about it.

THE PANTS: Levi 501’s. They have some stretch which is nice and came in petite so I didn’t have to pay the dry cleaner to shorten them on my behalf.


WHERE TO BUY: Donno – probably Macy’s, the Levi’s store and onlinePRICE: $40 or so

THE TOP: Michael Khors (the Project Runway guy) silk shoulder tied blouse n black with red squiggle pattern, great for hiding accidental spills.


WHERE TO BUY: I picked this up at the Nordstrom Rack, but saw it at Macy’s too.PRICE: I paid under $30 for it, but the original tag was in the $70 range.

THE SHOES: I’m still wearing the ECCO slides. Notice how they coordinated with yesterdays outfit AND today’s outfit. If I was wearing this outfit out to dinner I might throw on a pair of high heels (and different jeans) to zip it up a bit, but for a travel day, flats are the shit!


WHERE TO BUY: Nordstrom (I found them in Indianapolis, and haven’t seen them anywhere else.)


PRICE: eek, they were $114 – but I have worn them at least 3 days a week since purchase. Totally worth it!

THE WATCH: Still the Swiss Army watch.


WHERE TO BUY: Nordstrom


PRICE: see yesterday

THE ENGAGEMENT RING


The thing I love about this ring (besides what it means) is that the center stone is flanked by two solid walls thus protecting it from being knocked out when I flail around wildly as I am prone to do. Rather than being set with prongs that tend to fail after time, this ring should be secure forever and ever.


PRICE: I’m not telling

THE OTHER ACCESSORIES:


Still wearing the Leo. I seldom bring a variety of jewelry options while traveling. I don’t like the idea of leaving items of value in the hotel room nor do I like having them in my purse all day. I’ll probably bring a mix of jems (jems… ha ha ha) on the honeymoon to mix up the bangles but it’s a special kind of trip now isn’t it.
My earrings – Overstock.com is an interesting place to purchase items. You can get some good deals, but everything I’ve ever purchased has been a little bit “wrong”. I freely acknowledge that I likely would not have purchased any of my overstock things from a regular store even at the same price. The hassle of returning isn’t worth it, and I don’t buy from them very often.


eBay Badge – is there, but you can’t see it.




WHERE TO BUY: Weisefileds.com for the Leo, overstock.com for the tiny earrings and nowhere for the ID badge.


PRICE: I’m not telling, don’t remember and not available.




ABOUT THE DAY I woke up in my hotel room, talked to Jason, and then headed to Starbucks with my luggage where I met my ride to the office (and to the airport). Sat at my desk, planned some future trips to San Jose and San Francisco, had lunch, back to my desk, left for the airport at 3:30 – flew home. Met Jason at “departures” (We are tricky and I get dropped off at arrivals and picked up at departures because the traffic is lighter and there are NO laws against it.) had a sweet welcome home hug. Headed to the storage unit to pick up the Wedding Favor supplies, had a light dinner and then home. HOME!!!!

No comments: