Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wedding Drama Averted!

We have asked that folks RSVP by Saturday and for the most part people have replied either by the pre-stamped envelope or by phone. (Horror of horrors – I did mail a few RSVP cards with no stamps. EEK. Melinda – you’ll be getting a check for the stamp you had to buy.)

As of last week though we had 33 outstanding RSVP’s. Most we have an idea of the yes/no status but it’s still nice to get accurate numbers. We will be under the dreaded limit of 175. – Whew! Because of this we have been able to extend the “bring your kids” to our wedding party. We still can’t accommodate all the kids in our lives and I know that sucks. I remember not being invited to a wedding because I was a kid – totally unfair.

We hadn’t heard yet from the family member who is in a snit over some past slight or some darn thing that occurred before I was around. I was gearing up for a fight, an extremely rigid line in the sand or some harsh words –but much to my genuine happiness, we received the RSVP and said relative will be attending. Jason said he didn’t care, but I think that was a bit of crap. I was worried that the ‘snit’ would extend and then be made worse by the snub.

Thankfully we are serving a buffet so we can have some latitude on the volume of food. We just don’t want to be paying for 25 extra people – but I’ve been told that even though folks have said they will come some just won’t show. This perplexes me. How is our special day not the priority for everyone?

Anyway – we will still have to make some phone calls to ask about attendance, but the numbers are dwindling. I am going to miss running to the mailbox to find the neat envelope pre-printed with my name on it. People have been so kind with their notes too. If I ever get invited to another wedding I’ll be sure to include a personal note with my ON TIME rsvp.

4 comments:

CLD said...

I've noticed that manners do not seem to matter much in Seattle. I won't name any names, but my hubby and I know individuals (who were invited without date) and couples (who were invited without kids) who not only failed to RSVP to our wedding but also arrived at the wedding WITH date and WITH kids. Talk about messing with one's final count...

Two words people... "Emily Post".

Jody, Single, 34, Harley Chick said...

An opinion here to couples that invite people without dates..NO ONE WANTS TO GO TO A WEDDING WITHOUT A DATE! If you can't handle the extra head for someone to be able to bring a date, don't invite them in the first place.

CLD said...

I disagree... it is ABSURD to suggest that an unattached individual shouldn't be invited AT ALL if the bride and groom can't accommodate his/her date! I think most people understand that weddings are EXPENSIVE and that, with budget and space constraints, it just isn't always possible to add "and guest" to every single person's invitation.

Of course, if the individual is single but dating someone, you should adjust your numbers to accommodate the person's S.O. I was referring above to individuals who were NOT in a relationship.

Jody, Single, 34, Harley Chick said said...

And I disagree with you and hold firm on my statement above.