Pages

Monday, August 04, 2008

Don't look at me, I'm new

Oh hell, a work related post. (skip it if you're looking for dating or WL stories)

Friday I started getting furious phone calls and blackberry messages from my Sr. Manager who was asking questions about one of the projects I inherited from the recent ex-boss. I'm all of one week in and I'm trying to give status updates on something I'm barely into.

Apparently my Sr. Mgr is in meetings with our Chief Information Officer and asking for our assistance in figuring out why something on the project is not perfect. Without getting too detailed (because you so totally don't care) it breaks down to two things - one the issues are enterprise wide and secondly the business has to identify their own needs before we can step in and problem solve.

It's kind of like when you see someone who is dressed in messy clothes and you think you're helping them by teaching them how to iron, when what they really need is a washing machine. Until you know the whole story, your "help" may not be welcome.

The reason this is "blogworthy" is that my sr. mgr is all over my phone and email trying to get status when "WE" can't do anything yet. I don't know why he's inserting himself into this mess. I've told him we don't want to own it and really shouldn't be standing next to it beyond the investement in time we are giving right now. At first, I thought it was just some kind of a test to see how "responsive" I would be as a direct report to him, but no, this is about something else....

Strange.

No comments: