Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

If....Then

I have spent some personal time bitching that my employers health insurance policy didn't cover any part of my weight loss surgery and that I couldn't get access to my banked sick leave hours even though I was in the hospital. I didn't expect the surgery to be covered but the sick leave thing pissed me off.

I had a long conversation today with a valued colleague who has been dealing with breast cancer since 2001 and she mentioned how the changes in our health care plan (that "hurt" me) probably saved her life due to being able to change plans and get into a better cancer care program.

I have to say that if the change that cost me money saved her life, then I will never bitch about it again. What is money compared to her life? No one sat down and did that particular if/then decision but I just did.

She had no way of knowing my past complaints and was just sharing her heroic story but she put it into perspective for me.

No comments: