Pages

Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Party Recap

















Well, to say that I'm honored by my friends is an understatement. I am blessed with kind, creative and lovely people.

The weather tried to dampen our event, but Rico and Cindy's home is ideal for entertaining, so we set up indoors and it was stunning. Flowers and candlelight made for an elegant evening.

Special thanks to J for sending flowers in his absence. I think it's possible that he might be a great guy.

The room was filled with my friends from every corner of my life. Book club ladies, friends from grade school, my beloved college friends, loved co-workers, and friends of friends who have become dear friends. It was strange to see them all in the same place, but wonderful to see them mingling and enjoying each other the way I enjoy them.

Folks embraced the Slam portion of the evening, enduring a little emotional speech from the TP gal and then blew me away with their humor, creativity and kindness.



MWR owned the room with his take on the Carpenter's Song "Close to You":

Why do banks
Suddenly go awry
Everytime you're nearby?
Just like me
They long to be
Blogged about.

Why do guys
Show up by the crate
Everytime you match.com date?
Just like me
They long to be
Blogged about.

On the day that you were born
The angels got together and decided
To create a blogging queen
So they sprinkled mild disgust in your hair
Of gold and too much info in your eyes of blue

That is why all the crazy bus riders in town
follow you all around
Just like me
They long to be
Blogged about...


At the end of the song, the entire room was singing "Woo Woo... Blogged About"

Misty and her man from Denver couldn't make it and send in a poem that tore the room apart.

I can't (won't) share the whole thing but here's a horrific stanza:

Horny as a teen girl,
Searching for a man toy.
Online for love,
Found a booty-call boy.


OH MY GOD... I had a little 'esplanin to do.

Then there was Mikey who wrote this sweet Ode:

Worried to death about my inability to create rhyming
We trekked to Issaquah with excellent timing

So on this day we celebrate the day
When, via many routes the TPGAL came our way

Her sense of humor, an attribute we all treasure
Sometimes goes south but is generally a pleasure

In her invitation, she asked us to bring a single man 38-48
Since when's it our job to get her a date?

Now she has a man whose name is (rhymes with the next line)
Maybe that brings an end , her days of man chasin?

All joking aside, you've been a great "super cute" friend,
I hope the joys of your youth never end.


Becky stood up and regaled the room with fun stories of how she and I spend college. I think they really loved the reprisal of the underwear banjo band.

JJ did a lovely poem about masturbation, while MJS steamed up the room with a haiku about banana cream pie.

All in all, I was touched by every person and had possibly the best birthday imaginable. Even the folks who couldn't come were there in spirit. I do feel like my life is completely charmed at the moment, it is wonderful to be aware of being so happy.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, wonderful gifts, donation to the Renton Food Bank and your presence in my life. I'm so not worthy!

4 comments:

Kim H. said...

Wow! How cool to have a great song rewritten about you!! I love it! I'm so glad you had a great birthday... even though J wasn't able to be there... it looks like he was absolutely there in spirit!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I couldn't make it. I was busy mating and digging through your trash.

I guess you could say I was there in spirit.

just_me said...

tp_gal...welcome to the 30+10 (or more) club. I don't believe in the 'f' word myself so I'm only 30+11 and can empathize with the issues with starting that next chapter.

It was a pleasure, and a honor to be invited, and attend and to witness first hand how much your friends "think of you"...just teasing.

Can't wait to meet your man!

PNB Dave said...

Sorry I couldn't be there. (Damned ballerinas!) Happy belated birthday anyway and I'm looking forward to seeing you and meeting J.