Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

Martha

Corey, the hospice nurse called today to let me know that Martha is in the active process of dying. I'm headed up there tomorrow to be with her, and to take care of the last bit of business. I've worked out which funeral home to call and mostly cleared my day.

I called my parents to pass along the sober news but got the machine. When mom finally called back it was to tell me that my dad is in the hospital. She sounded really shaky, which scared the shit out of me. Upon actually talking to her, it is clear that while my dad isn't doing well, he isn't also dying this week. (I'm in some serious denial about his health and we're going to keep it that way!)

I didn't share the news about Martha because there's nothing they can do and they need to focus on Dad. I offered to come over, but Mom said that it would probably freak Dad out if I did. I can just hear him "what is this, a death watch!" So, I'm going to tough it out from here and most likely go over for Memorial Day weekend.

For a brief moment today I thought that they were both going to die this week and that would put me over the edge.

So, I'm off to the North again and if all things go well, I'll be home Wednesday. I can update on the fly so there may be news in the short term.

No comments: