Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Oh golly... I'm running

I skipped the gym tonight in favor of some actual outdoor activities. I mosied up to the track around the Middle School playing field and tried to run. I've never successfully made the transition from treadmill to self propelled action.

Maybe I'm moving too fast, but I go about an 8th of a mile and my body is yelling "you're dying... right... now... for the love of god... stop doing that!" I try not to listen, but unlike at the gym where I can focus on the visuals (man candy) in the wild my mind is laser focused on the burning in my legs or the fact that I can't actually breathe. The iPod helps some.

My compromise was to do 8 laps (not quarter mile either...I think each one is about half a mile) and run a third of each lap. It took me about 30 minutes or more... either way -- feeling good. The leg muscles are nice and stretched out. I'll give it another go - it's a whole new me!

While I was circling the field I was noticing that all the baseball fields (3) tennis courts (3) and basketball courts (2) were in use. Families and kids were everywhere. What a great night to be out. The new moms were making slow revolutions around the track (thankfully I was faster than them.) Anyway - I joke about living in the ghetto, but my neighborhood is amazingly diverse. It's pretty cool.

No comments: