Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2008

That'll learn ya...

Ran errands yesterday in the 90 degree heat. It may not be great for ye old ozone, but I do love driving with the A/C on and the windows down. My toes are cool, but the warm wind in my hair is awesome.

I had to make a stop at Babies R Us - a place very foreign to me. I picked up the registry of my friend and tried to navigate the isles. Thankfully, my standard baby shower gift was not yet snapped up. The Diaper Genie is the perfect shower gift, it isn't too expensive, it's huge, and it gets used everyday. Since I was splitting the cost of the gift with another friend I had to tack on some extra things but got a little carried away. By the time I was at the counter and saw that my total was $159 ($59 over our agreed upon budget) I was READY to leave the store. I think Babies R Us hires new moms to walk their pissed off infants around the store just to keep the single childless people from lingering too long in any one spot. With screaming babies everywhere, I decided to just take the stuff and over gift. Technically, I'm this gals boss, so over gifting can be forgiven.

Next door to Screaming Babies R Us is a Starbucks and a frothy iced tea lemonade sounded fabulous, so I dumped my infant gear in the car and wandered back over. As I was headed back from my car two policemen came running out of Starbucks towards a mid-sized black SUV. They asked the driver to step out of the car and started questioning him. He was affluent looking when the adult female exited Starbucks with her frothy extra-huge blended drink the police started to question her as well. As I passed the car I noticed the 4 year old and infant in the back seat.

All eyes in Starbucks were on the activity outside and someone shared that the police had been sitting in the window drinking their (now melted) iced coffees when the man and the woman came in, got in line, ordered their drinks, waited for their beverages and then left the store (the man first, then the woman.) Somehow the police noticed the kids in the car and had some severe words with the couple.

My entire transaction from door to door was about 16 minutes and my beverage was skipped ahead because it wasn't a blended thing (like the man and woman had ordered.) I'm pretty sure those folks got more than an earful from the police because the one officer was writing up a ticket, making notes in his handy book and the parents looked scared shitless.

So, here's the moral of the story... if you're going to lock your infant in a black car on a 90 degree day to get your blended coffee drink don't park in front of the Starbucks. Park around the corner so you don't have to be bothered by the Po-Po who are all up in your face about child safety.

Thankfully, the kids appeared to be ok and the officers didn't have to slap the parents for being stupid, although they may have wanted to. I think they could have sold tickets to the stupid parent beating for the next police guild charity auction. I'd buy a ticket... how about you?

1 comment:

PNB Dave said...

I bet those parents' older children attend my school. Bad parenting pays SUCH dividends as your children grow up. Really.