Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

oh well.... and a new word

The oops from yesterday could have been worse; I could have invited him to a family reunion. That would be equally confusing and scary. Rico says to not worry about it and I'm going to with that advice. It bugs me a little that Redmond didn't respond to my email, but I'm told men don't think like women in matters of communication.

Rico put it like this: men tend to resolve something, close the file drawer and then move on. If you agreed to talk in two weeks then he put a reminder on the file drawer and when it comes up again, he'll open the drawer and you're back in business. (Same with the "talk to you Monday" thing -- snap, drawer closed until Monday.) He also said that Men aren't good managing multiple drawers at the same time.

Women, according to Rico (and I think I agree) can keep multiple file drawers open at the same time, AND tend to reopen closed drawers at anytime.

So...I'm going to relax and focus on other things - finishing the painting of my kitchen for one.

Lastly, a new word:
Floordrobe: The pile of clean clothes strewn across the bedroom floor. "She should have ironed that shirt from her floordrobe." - June's Nanny.

1 comment:

MWR said...

I'm not sure I understand the "file drawer" metaphor, or maybe I just don't agree with it. If I put something in a file drawer, it's because I have no present need for it but can't be sure I won't need it sometime in the future. ("Talk in two weeks" was a made-up illustrative example? Or an actual interpersonal dynamic?)

The "talk to you Monday" situation is totally distinct from whatever the Redmond situation is. There are many ways to telegraph that hearing from someone over the weekend would be welcome. Telling them on a Thursday about the many demands on your psyche and then saying "I'll call you Monday" is simply not among them.