Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

TP gal 1:1 with her boss

I had my monthly 1 hour one on one with my manager. Her mood is worse than mine, so it was more of a pep talk from me to her. She thanked me for being the one to spend time every day with the staff . Every day, I get up out of my chair and wander over to where the real work happens and just 'check in' and 'shoot the shit.' It benefits me because I get to interact with these smart and hard working folks in "their" space which is more casual than behind my door and its a nice break. My manager admitted that she's "not good with the people thing." Um, ok but lady.... it is part of your job. (Why is it that SHE's the senior manager? Oh, I'm mouthy. That's why.)

As we were talking (aka her rattling off her list of things that are making her crazy) I tried to offer up some help, but not immediately. I tried to say, once my new employee (yeah!!!!) comes on in July and she's up to speed then I can take over some more items left in the dust by Mikey.

Here's how the conversation went:

Her: ...like I need another useless report of things I need to do. (They) need to roll up their sleeves and help.
Me: Well, I know the timing isn't the best, but
[interrupting... in a yell]
Her: Oh God, are you quitting!?
[silence from the whole floor as they lean in to hear]
Me: No, but did I make you shit your pants a little?
Her: (head down on the desk) Yes!! Please don't leave me.
Me: (laughing) You'll have notice if I do, but what was going to say was.....

It's nice to be needed. Of course two excellent employees had to leave first for it to happen, but I'm not picky. I'll take third best appreciation any day. Plus, I'm delusional enough to believe that I've been needed all along.

2 comments:

PNB Dave said...

You are SO MEAN. If I were your boss, I would probably have written you up for that. ;-)

tp_gal said...

For the record - I was not attempting to suggest I was leaving, it was a poor choice of words.

Similar to the time I asked the senior leader "What is this "integrity" thing you speak of?"

He didn't take the way I intended. I meant that I didn't know what it was, not that HE didn't have any. Oops.