Pages

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Camping

There's no phone service where we are, so this will post once we head up out of this hole.

We are dry camping at Clearlake which is about 25 miles east of Packwood on White Pass. The grounds are fantastic, with the sound of the river providing a soothing backdrop.

The air is thick with mosquitos and I have always been an attractive target for the little blood suckers. So far today I have been bit on my legs, shoulders, neck, FOREHEAD and the palm of my left hand. I am covered in "OFF" which so far isn't too impressive. My $15 deet spary has expired and is just an environmental hazard at this point.

My uncle John brought two of his grandsons (13 and 11) and they are pretty great. Pat (a friend of aunt Glenda) brought her grandsons too (12 & 14) and those boys belong in jail. They are sullen, only happy when yielding (wielding?) an ax. Their fire was so big last night that the sparks were popping up into the dry trees.

Those of you who know me know that I don't mess with danger stuff as a hobby. I'm slightly risk averse. So I'll tell you that my uncle Ed who is the king of danger behaviour offered to drive the boys deeper into the woods to save mankind some trouble. I tell you that as validation that these thugs are not just my imagination.

Dry camping, means no water. The river is cold and running too fast for playing. I will be without a proper shower until Thursday. I feel sorry for the pedicure lady that will have to clean up these feet Friday. I'll tip big.

I'm hanging out under a tree with my book, water, and bucket of OFF. I'm a bit technology deprived, hence the useless messaging. This is good practice for the three week Greece trip. For that trip the phone and blackberry won't travel with me.

The relatives are very interested in the dating situation. Uncle Ed thinks that bringing a manfriend on a family camping trip is a good idea. Hmmm....magic 8 ball says. "Situation Doubtful".

1 comment:

PNB Dave said...

Uncle Ed gets ten bonus points for his suggestion to lose the Young Hoodlums in the woods, but he loses five of them for suggesting co-camping with the fam.